Do You Want To Perform?
Well....First and foremost...
If you are professionals after some real gig money then the Beggars Fair is probably not for you. It's not that we don't want you it's because we cannot afford you. The clue is in the title of the event.
We only pay minimal expenses. and some acts insist on playing for free. The Beggars Fair is a community festival on an extremely limited budget. It is not (yet) Glastonbury, Cambridge, Sidmouth, Reading or any other BIG festival. But we do believe it's the biggest of its kind in Hampshire.
For our income we rely upon grants, programme selling & advertising and collections on the day to keep the Beggars Fair free for the folk of Romsey and the surrounding area. There is simply no way that an event like this can happen otherwise.
- 2013 will be the 21st Beggars Fair, so we must be doing something right.
- There are no ticketed venues, everything is free for the punters.
- The event is split very roughly...
10% street entertainment, arts & crafts.
- The eclectic musical composition is split very approximately...
50% all varieties of folk/roots/world
50% blues, jazz, rock, classical, medieval recorder music, barber shop and anything else.
- Preference will be given to acts that:
are local (that is within 30 miles)
perform original material
are newly-formed acts
have not performed at the Beggars Fair before
Performers and Selection...
- The majority of the acts are selected by the committee by February. So apply before then.
- We are limited to inviting 60 acts in total. Our budget and venues are of a finite size.
- Of those 60 acts, 10 to 15 will be new, but we get contacted by far more than that each year.
- You don't need to have a website with downloads or CD, but it really helps.
- The programming/running order or "who plays when & where" is not done until late April. There's no point in attempting this until the final line up of acts is known.
- Events happen on the Saturday 11am-late.
- Music acts get a 30/45 minute performance slot in the programme with 15/30 minutes to change over.
- The final programme's from 2011 and 2012 are here and here
On the day & night...
- PAs are supplied and run by us and some of the acts during Saturday daytime.
- PAs are supplied and run by the headlining acts on the Saturday evening.
- You need to bring any backline gear, and any odd favourite mic & stand can help as well.
- You can sell CDs, tee-shirts or anything else you want. We don't care and we won't take a cut.
- We do rely on the weather at least being OK as most of the Saturday daytime events are outside. All outdoor venues have some sort of gazebo to perform under out of the rain or (with luck) out of the blazing sun.
- We do not provide food or beer for the acts.
- We do not organise any form of camping for acts or punters.
- And neither do any of the committee put anyone up on any spare floor (or lawn) space they might have! :-)
to answer the question one act from Central America once asked...
- We will not pay for your return flight tickets or your hotel bill either!